Wednesday, September 29, 2010

The House on Oyster Creek

If you have been reading this blog for some time now, you'll know that I chose this book (purchased pre-Kindle;) because of the beautiful cover. Set in Cape Cod, it's the story of a woman who moves to the Cape with her much older husband and young daughter. It's her story, their story, and the story of the people who live there. Full of rich language describing the not-so-charming facets of living and working in a fishing community, this book grew on me page after page. It is not chick-lit nor a "summer read" by any means. I wanted to bop the main character on the head sometimes and her stodgy husband almost always, but ultimately I ended up caring about everyone in the book and wanted to see it through. 


One of my favorite lines:  
Charlotte was made of empathy; she would accidentally glimpse the hopes and fears of the stranger behind her in a supermarket line.  Her heart went out to people and she could never get it back.


Would anyone like to read this book? Let me know and I will get it to you, whether I pass it over the fence or head to the post office!

1 comment:

  1. I love that line to!Reminds me of a couple of people.We started a book club and are now reading Pet Semetary by Steven King for halloween month :}. The girls I do it with are in there 20s and 30s sooooo they never read it.I on the other hand have read it when it came out in 1983:/ .It is actually the book that got me into reading if ya wanna check it out.As always the book was wayyyyyyyyy better than the movie! I'll pick this book up you just finished at the library to save you a trip to the post office,lol ;] .

    ReplyDelete