Thursday, April 1, 2010

One Small Change: Joining a CSA!

We've saved the best One Small Change Project for last, my friends, though that was mere serendipity. First dramatically reducing our paper towel usage, then exploring healthy food options, and in March, opening the windows to breathe the fresh spring air. Now in home stretch to Earth Day, we are so excited to participate in a local CSA. 
"A what?" you might be saying, just as Jason and I did when our friend Joel tossed around the lingo during his last visit. CSA stands for Community Supported Agriculture. Essentially, a community of people financially support a farm operation (sharing in the risks and rewards). As part of our CSA season, we will be getting weekly deliveries of fresh, organic vegetables and fruit and-- get this--wildflowers. I love it! 
::
I am not politically minded at all, so I have no musings on that matter. I am simply excited to have fresh, organic food for my family that did not travel far and wide to get to our table. I am also very excited for the culinary adventures that lie ahead (of the "What is a turnip and how does one cook with it?" variety). 
::
I want to say thank you to Suzy at Hip Mountain Mama for creating such a meaningful, rewarding, and fun challenge for us all :)

4 comments:

  1. Wildflowers :{ ,I'm jealous!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We've been members of a CSA for 5 years now. It is such a wonderful thing! I know you will love it! I am jealous that yours includes flowers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You ladies got it right--as soon as the lady said "wildflowers" I was sold!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm also really excited about joining a CSA this year. I wish ours had flowers!

    ReplyDelete