Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Guess Who? Game

This was a favorite game of mine and my brother's growing up, which is why I purchased it a little on the early side for Amelia (it's for 6+). I figured we could play in teams to help her out. That's exactly what we did, but not for long! I did not realize what a fantastic learning tool I had...
::
If you haven't played before: Each player chooses a mystery person card at random. Then you take turns asking each other yes/no questions in order to rule out the ones that do not apply (flipping them down on the game board) until you have narrowed it down to the other player's mystery person card. 
::
At first we would think out loud, describing our logic: "Does your person have a beard? No? Ok, so that means I am knocking down all of the people with beards now." It was challenging at first, but soon she got the hang of it and started getting creative with her questions. It has been amazing to watch her logic and reasoning skills develop. Some serendipitous learning happened as well. She can practice reading by sounding out the names and we get to talk about how each one of us is different looking and special in our own way (very guidance counselor-y, I know ;). I highly recommend it!

3 comments:

  1. Guess Who was my brother's and my favorite game, and I nearly forgot about it! I can't wait until my little one is old enough for games =]

    Just discovered your blog... loving it very much!

    www.largeshoesforthemoon.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete