Sunday, April 11, 2010

Barefoot Sunday: Provençal Tomatoes

Hurray! I am finally making an Ina Garten recipe with the word Provençal in the title (those are the scariest, at least to me). Provençal means "from Provence," a region in France. I am building up to make the Provençal potato salad that's on the cover of the Barefoot Contessa Cookbook. All in due time my friends...
::
Anyway--tomatoes. These were very delicious, light, and tasty. Essentially, they are tomatoes stuffed with fresh breadcrumbs, scallions, and herbs and baked for about 15 minutes with cheese melted on top. The recipe called for Gruyère cheese, but instead I used what I had on hand for pocket book's sake (mozzarella)...which probably takes the Provençal out and puts the Italian in. Whichever! They were yummy just the same.
::
The most serendipitous part of the recipe was slicing the tomatoes. From the picture, I assumed that you cut the tops off of the tomatoes to make the "cups." In reality, you carefully cut out the cores and then slice the tomatoes crosswise, thus getting two servings from one tomato. This was especially helpful now that the price of tomatoes is so high here in Florida (and probably everywhere). 
::
Happy Sunday evening to all!
PS: This recipe is from the Barefoot Contessa Family Style cookbook.   

1 comment: