Friday, March 19, 2010

Rites of Passage

Miss Amelia got her ears pierced today, thus fully propelling her into "little girl" status. If I may brag on my child for a moment: there was only one person working at the jewelry store, preventing us from having the two-person-piercing strategy. We gave Amelia the choice between piercing one at a time (explaining that when it hurt once, she would need to sit still and essentially be willingly hurt again) or coming back a few hours later. We knew she would choose to do it then. What we did not know was how amazingly brave and strong she would be! She is a very brave and strong child, but this was above and beyond. She had such an uncertain, pained, and possibly nauseous expression after the first pierce, but she sat still and got the second one done. Get this? No tears. She is amazing!

2 comments:

  1. That is amazing! What a strong little lady! I got my ears pierced when I was four and cried so hard after the first one that I said it was OK with me to just have one ear pierced...I was ready to get out of there. My dad took me to his office (he worked at the department store where I got them done) and told me we were going to stay until I got the second one done, but if I hurried and got it over with, we could make it home in time to watch the Charlie Brown Christmas special. That was enough motivation for me! All that to say, Amelia is more woman that I am (or was)! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I could seriously cry at how special this time is for her!She will "never" forget it!!!Do you know my mom wouldnt do her ears cause at the time she lived in italy and some woman pierced her friends ears and they got all nasty and infected.So my strong toughy mom never got her ears pierced,lol.I personally couldnt wait and had them done at a jewelry stand in the mall.i dont recall crying but im sure my face was a replica of mealys cause I remember the pain shock,eckkk

    ReplyDelete