Monday, March 8, 2010

Poodle Skirt


Amelia is having a rock n' roll party at school on Wednesday, so a poodle skirt was in order! As many of you know, I am a laughable seamstress and had to make this by hand in order to figure it out. If you find yourself needing to make a poodle skirt by hand or machine, I highly recommend using Google to search for a "how-to" that works for you (which is what I did). Now, what I really wanted to share with you was how to do the poodle applique. If you do an internet search for "poodle silhouette" you will find what you need to make the poodle shape. I wanted some depth to the poodle so I chose gray felt for the "body," stitching that on first with a basic straight stitch:
I then added on the hair poofs in white and used black embroidery floss to create the nose, eye, and leash. For the leash I used a back stitch to create a continuous line:
I am really enjoying layering felt to create depth in embroidery projects--I have two more "in the queue" waiting patiently to be finished for their turns on the blog!

7 comments:

  1. That is so cute! You can see the love you put into it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks everyone! Let's hope it at least makes in through the party intact!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So cute! I love the full skirts of the 50s. Our family did a milkshake party with friends a few months ago--and we all dressed up in our 50's clothes but only one of us had an actual poodle skirt.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Danielle, that skirt is darling and your girl twirling in it is an incredible photo. :)

    ReplyDelete