Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Good Things by Mia King

This is the book that I name as my favorite when people ask. Sure, other books try to elbow it off of the top rung. And sure, some books are deeper, funnier, flirtier, or set in Maine (which I love), but Good Things is special. 
::
Diedre McIntosh is the host of a Seattle cooking-and-lifestyle show (think Martha Stewart-esque) that gets cancelled right about the time that she needs to find a new place to live. Through serendipity and circumstance, she is able to spend some time in a small town cabin a few hours from Seattle, where she begins to put her life back together piece by piece.
::
What makes Good Things such an enjoyable read is not only the story, but the way it's written. Diedre, though flawed, is instantly likable. The scenes are perfectly described so you feel like you're there. And the food! You will get hungry reading this book. You will also get the desire to bake whatever it is yourself...then sit right back down to eat it while reading the book! 
::
What you see above are the corn fritters Diedre makes at the beginning of the story (yum). You can find the recipe here, along with all of the other recipes and more, at www.miaking.com
::
PS: I needed to make some ingredient substitutions for the fritters--if you would like to know more about that just send me an email or comment!

3 comments:

  1. I wish I could just grab that plate and hit my hammock;].

    ReplyDelete
  2. Danielle, what a sweet post -- thank you! And I would love your adapted recipe and would be more than happy to cross-post it on my site. :-) I did a link back to this page from my Facebook page (http://www.facebook.com/authormiaking) and of course would love to add the photo to my image gallery with full credit and link back to your blog. You're fabulous and again so sweet for being such a champion for the book -- thank you!

    hugs,
    Mia

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Frankly, I am star struck. Mia, I would be honored for you to have my recipe and my picture to link. I'll get to work!

    ReplyDelete