Monday, March 29, 2010

Five

Amelia turned five today! The three of us spent the day together doing all sorts of fun things: playing games, playing with new toys, and taking a riverboat ride where we saw many alligators and turtles. Since we had her party and official cake last weekend, Amelia was unsure of what she would like for her "real" birthday dessert. Keeping in mind that I wanted something special, but that it would be just the three of us, I came up with this: 
After making the Rice Krispies treats according to box directions, I flattened them out onto a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper. I then chilled them in the refrigerator for 20 minutes so that they would be set enough to cut into shape. I used a pizza cutter to cut out the number. After nearly losing a finger, I am going to recommend that you find an alternate cutting method if you try this at home :). To make it ever so slightly more special, I surrounded the "5" with pink M n' Ms (a task made much easier when your little one is born around Easter). 
::
Amelia really loved this dessert, both in taste and presentation. I am currently thinking of all of the ways you could change it up to suit you: clovers and green candies on St. Patrick's, etc. I am sure you'll be seeing a version or two of this again someday! Happy Birthday Amelia!
::
PS: Tune in tomorrow for a cool way to personalize a wall in a child's bedroom :)

3 comments:

  1. OHH now my sweet tooth is goin!!!!!! we all love love love rice crispy treats!!!HAPPY BIRTHDAY BIG GIRL!!!!:}

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday! I imagine 5 is a wonderful age to be! Love the cake!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dani, remind me to tell you the story about Mark and the pizza slicer.

    ReplyDelete