Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Adapted Corn Fritter Recipe...And I'm Totally Starstruck

This is one of those instances where you think to yourself, "Man, I love the internet." My most favorite author, Mia King, commented on my very own blog yesterday! She was interested in my adapted corn fritter recipe, so here it goes!
::
The reason the recipe needed tweaking was because I was not able to find Chinese peppercorn, crème fraîche, nor sherry at my grocery store (the people who live in my same town will groan in understanding). I did some internet searching for reasonable substitutions and came up with this: 
::
Ingredients: 
1 cup fresh corn kernels (off the cob). I needed three cobs to produce one cup of kernels: 
1 cup plus 2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
2 eggs (original recipe called for 1)
2 tablespoons red bell pepper, finely chopped
1/4 cup water (replacing sherry)
1/4 cup sour cream (vs. crème fraîche)
Generous pinch each of: red pepper flakes, black pepper, chili powder (replacing Chinese peppercorn)
Salt to taste (about 1/8 teaspoon or so in the batter, then sprinkled to taste on hot fritters)
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil


From Good Things:

  1. In a large bowl, mix all of the ingredients (except olive oil). 
  2. Bring a skillet to medium high heat; add olive oil. 
  3. Drop spoonfuls of batter, forming four fritters, cooking until bottoms are lightly browned, about 3 minutes. 
  4. Flip carefully and cook an additional 2 minutes. Drain any excess oil. 



**My Notes:

  1. I sprinkled salt to taste while the fritters were still piping hot. 
  2. If you double the recipe, remember that the second batch will cook faster than the first batch since the pan is already so hot!
  3. For a party, you can set aside a few clean husks for decoration: 


Enjoy! Thank you, Mia!

1 comment: