Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Making Brown Rice Yellow

Being raised in Key West means that Jason and I are both accustomed to eating and cooking Cuban cuisine. One of the staples is yellow rice, which is rice that has been seasoned with saffron. Tonight I wanted to make picadillo (ground beef, tomatoes, onions, olives, etc. served with black beans and yellow rice). I typically purchase the packaged yellow rice (which is white rice with the saffron and seasonings included). In the name of being extra healthy this month, I wanted to experiment with adding saffron to brown rice on my own: 
I cooked the brown rice according to package directions, but added a teaspoon of salt, a tablespoon of olive oil, and a 1/2 teaspoon of saffron per uncooked cup of rice. I was pleasantly surprised to find that the rice did turn a yummy yellow color!:
Upon tasting, I feel like I could have gone heavier with the saffron. Saffron strands (which are the stigmas or strands of crocus flowers) are not cheap, so I figured err on the side of caution this time. Next I will up it to a full teaspoon. Still, I am pleased to be able to incorporate brown rice into this family standby :)

No comments:

Post a Comment