Sunday, February 28, 2010

Barefoot Sunday: Roasted Brussel Sprouts

What a fitting end to Healthy Food February to have Barefoot Sunday be about something so traditionally panned as a vegetable, yet quite healthy and maybe deserving of a second chance. I have never had a brussel sprout before. I have no idea if Jason had before either, but the conversation about tonight's meal went something like this:
::
      Danielle: Guess what I am making for Barefoot Sunday?
      Jason: What?
      Danielle: Brussel sprouts!
      Jason: Why?!
::
When all was said and out of the oven, the sprouts really were quite tasty. Per Ina Garten's recipe, I tossed a pound and a half of spouts with 3 tablespoons of olive oil plus salt and pepper. I roasted them on a baking sheet at 400 degrees for about 35 minutes. They are surely an acquired taste, but tasty nonetheless. 
We will definitely continue the healthy eating habits explored for this month's One Small Change, though it may not be posted about...since we'll be talking more about our March change after all. I'll tell you what it is tomorrow ;)

3 comments:

  1. Yum! They look delicious. I never liked brussels sprouts as a kid, but I love them now. My mom was a great cook, but she never made brussels sprouts like this! :) Teresa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmm... I LOVE Brussel sprouts, although I have to admit I only make them at Thanksgiving. I will have to try this recipe. Seems very simple and I'll take your word for it that they are tasty this way. Hope you're having a good Monday!
    ~Nicole

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks ladies! They were good enough that I brought the leftovers to work today. Give it a try!

    ReplyDelete