Sunday, February 21, 2010

Barefoot Sunday: Profiteroles!

The back story (in bullets for ease of following): 

  1. Saw episode of Barefoot Contessa where Ina made profiteroles; Immediately want to eat them, but remain intimidated by the process for over a year. 
  2. Start a blog so that I may brave adventures in the craft and culinary realm. 
  3. Make cheese puffs (which have the same basic dough as profiteroles, called Pâte à choux) as a first run, with help from my mom. More about the dough on my cheese puffs post
  4. Eat profiteroles at French restaurant in town last Saturday...they are only okay. Yay! This gives me the confidence to give it a try (because if a restaurant can't get it right every time...)
Today I did it! Amelia and I even made the sauce over a double boiler, which we have never done before. We felt very culinary and fabulous. 
Ta da: 
They were so light, crispy, and delicious. When Amelia saw them completed she said, "those look like yum." Yum, indeed. The process was not nearly as scary or difficult as I had made it out to be.  You can totally do this. Find the recipe right here FoodNetwork.com. Happy baking!

3 comments: