Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Pinkie: The Handmade Owl Puppet

Here was our little pink afternoon project. It was a true collaboration between the two of us in terms of design, with a little serendipity mixed in:
First, I sewed the button eyes and beak to the felt scrap. Then, I cut out the owl shape around it. I pinned it upside down to the wrong side of the pink floral fabric scrap and stitched around the sides and top. When I was turning it right-side out (with my hand inside to poke out the ears) Amelia said, "Yay! A Puppet!" My original plan was to make it a stuffed animal, but this was more fun and easier too!
::
The extra flap of floral fabric that was supposed to be the base of the stuffed animal became the tail end after I used pinking shears to create the right shape. Since I had time to spare now, with no stuffing to attend to, I stitched on some wings. And that was that! Fun, easy, no shopping needed and ready to play with in just under an hour (even faster if you know how to use your sewing machine ;)

1 comment:

  1. I swear Anna did the same thing to me.I was stuffing the kitties head with my hand in there and shes like, mom its a puppet:}. I love love love pinkie the owl!!!!!!!!!!! Good job girls!

    ReplyDelete