Monday, January 4, 2010

Love Defined

My friend Caroline sent me this quote about the true definition of love; two trees whose roots have become intertwined underground, forming but one tree despite the falling blossoms. As I read it, it's image began to sketch itself out in my head. I knew I had to get it on paper. Here is what it came to be: 
As a birthday present, I framed a print of this for Caroline with an adaptation of the quote written on top, which is why I am just now able to show you (happy birthday, friend!). I wanted to share with you a little bit of the process to show how I overcame a little stumbling block in case a similar one crossed your paths. 
As I sketched it out in pencil and began filling in, I had the hardest time visualizing the tree roots intertwined to form a heart. I really wanted that to be part of the piece, so I had a look around the house and came upon the basket of yarn for Jason's scarf (two different colors). I snipped off a bit from the end of each skein, taped them to the table top, and formed the shape I was after. 
Much easier for me, a very visual person, to reference. I guess my point is, if you can't "see" it in your head (or google search it ;), try and make it! 
PS: I nearly cropped the middle picture and then decided against it, so there you have my kitchen table workspace: popsicle sticks, clementine peels, and all!

4 comments:

  1. This drawing is truly amazing! I have been wanting to get a tatoo of a tree with roots, but have not yet found the perfect image. I am really drawn to this image...just stunning!
    Suzy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Call me old-fashioned, but I can't hear the word "clementine" without thinking of the "oh my darlin' clementine" song.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Suzy,
    Thank you SO much for your kind words!

    ReplyDelete