Monday, November 2, 2009

A Review And A Recipe II: The Summer I Dared and Easy Nutella Pastries



The Summer I Dared was a full and comforting read. It had a just enough depth, just enough character development, and just enough mystery to keep me turning the pages. Barbara Delinsky did a wonderful job of linking the characters through a common tragedy, without being too sappy or painfully sad. A very fine book to cozy up with...perhaps also with a blanket and snack, which brings me to what I call Easy Nutella Pastries!


All that is required: spreading Nutella on store-bought pastry dough (I use Pepperidge Farm), folding it over on itself, cutting it into whatever shapes you would like, then sprinkle your desired amount of cinnamon and sugar on top. Bake on an ungreased cookie sheet at 400 degrees for 14 minutes. I love this dessert because it's simple, inexpensive, and you can adjust the sweetness to your taste (and avoid the sickly-sweet quality of some pastries). Then, just curl up with a good book and enjoy!


PS: This book is headed to my friend Kelley, who loves reading about Maine as much as I do (well, almost :). 

3 comments:

  1. I think I'm the only person on the planet who is literally repelled by Nutella.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's okay! I will invent a recipe with chocolate frosting for you :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really enjoyed the book as well. Thanks for passing it on! Maybe one day I can move back to Maine and write my own book. Ha, a math teacher writing books....That's a laugh! And the lobsterman way of life.... so true!

    ReplyDelete