Monday, November 30, 2009

Decorative Quilt Square: The Beach

This project has been a long time coming--I have been doing it in fits and starts; in small snatches of time where I had a both few moments and the inspiration to match. The idea first came from these little quilts by Amanda Soule, writer of my favorite blog Soulemama. Hers were inspired by vintage dress patterns--mine, my favorite place. I hesitate to even call it a quilt, because as yet, I have no idea how to use my sewing machine. This was done using iron-on adhesive backing and some hand stitching. I guess this is good news for others who are not fluent in sewing machines! I also cut my grandmother's crochet-work off of a pillow case to make the breaking waves. My reasoning was that my Nonna's work would be better appreciated hanging on a wall for all to see than in its former home at the bottom of the linen closet.
::
I hope that this inspires you to try something new, even if you need to find your way around a road block, though one of these days I will figure out that machine!


1 comment:

  1. This anaswered most of MY questions about sewing machines: http://home.howstuffworks.com/sewing-machine1.htm

    I'd always wondered about it, but never had the gumption to look it up.

    ReplyDelete