Sunday, October 18, 2009

Barefoot Sunday: Saffron Risotto With Butternut Squash





I wanted to start with a bang, and this recipe from Barefoot Contessa Family Style Cookbook seemed just right. Everybody tells you to be scared of risotto (all that stirring!) but Ina made it less intimidating. I had never before cooked with shallots, saffron threads, or butternut squash for that matter! Honestly, as I was doing the prep work I kept thinking..."this is an awful lot of squash, Ina," but she knows what she's doing. I forged ahead and I'm so glad I did. It was rich without being heavy and perfectly seasoned, as she tells you exactly how much salt and pepper to put in at different intervals throughout the preparation. To balance out the cost factor of the ingredient list (ahem), we will be having grilled cheese and a pizza later this week but it will be worth it ;)

1 comment: